Wednesday, January 22, 2014


Advantage Kalimantan In Inter Island Cup

Reality hit for two of the Super League’s new boys in the Inter Island Cup as they fell to heavy defeats in the first Big 8 games.

Perseru had surprised everyone when they defeated Persipuura at the Mandala Stadium in the group stage but they have found life outside their native Papua a tad harder.

On Sunday, they came up against Sriwijaya who had surprisingly been thumped by Barito Putra in their first Big 8 at the Kanjuruhan Stadium in Malang.

This time it was the turn of the Laskar Wong Kito to go goal crazy, whacking eight past the hapless Persru without repliy.

Former Chonburi, Delttras and Persisam striker led the way with five. Anis added a couple while Diogo hit an injury time goal to round off the rout.

The Papuans had lost their first group game 1-0 against Arema so despite a final game against Barito Putra, their interest in the competition is over.

Hosts Arema were held 2-2 by Barito Putta despite scoring twice in a minute. Cristian Gonzales had given them the lead on 23 mins with Irsyad following suit a minute later.

Bangura pulled one back on the half hour mark and Syahroni saved the game for the team from South Kalimantan with 12 mins on the clock.

Barito Putra lead the group on goal difference thanks to their 4-1 defeat of Sriwijaya with Arema in second place. Two time winners Sriwijaya are third on three points.

With the final games to be played today, Barito Putra will be hoping to keep on their goal spree against Perseru knowing victory could put them in the final in Sidoarjo on Saturday.

In the other game, Arema meet Sriwijaya. The team from Palembang know they must win this difficult game and hope Perseru get an unlikely result against Barito Putra if they are to reach the final.

The other group kicked off on Sunday with Persib, being followed by around 1,500 supporters, being held by Persiram 0-0. In the other game, newly promoted Persik, who sprung a surprise of their own by defeating Persebaya in the group stage to reach the Big 8, found life a tad tougher against Mitra Kukar.

Persik had the gall to take the lead against the East Kalimantan team through Dicky on six mins but Mitra Kukar responded with Raphael Maitimo scoring on 10 mins. Zulham scored on 17 mins, Anindito added a third on 36 mins and Zulham added his second a minute later to make it 4-1 at half time.

The goals continued flowing in the second half with Maitimo and Zulham completing hattricks and Rendi pulling one back for Persik.

If you have lost count, Mitra Kukar won 7-2 and if I check my maths, that puts them top of the group that is being held in Solo.

Things were much tighter in the second round of games played yesterday. Persik put on a much better performance against Persiram, coming from behind to earn a 1-1 draw. Osas Saha Marvelous scored for the Papuan team on 81 mins but substitute Dimas Gaih Gumilang equalised with two minutes on the clock.

Tomorrow will be the final games with everything to be decided. Mitra Kukar obviously lead the group and must go into their final game Persiram as slight favorites while Persib take on Persik hoping to end a run of draws and rediscover their goalscoring touch that had demolished 10 men Persita in the group stage.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?