Tuesday, October 26, 2010
My Liga Primer Indonesia XI
Following on from my piece yesterday about some of the woes facing Indonesian football that the new Liga Primer Indonesia proposes to address I have a few of my own that I would like put on the table
- 1. Stop rolling round on the floor after the slightest knock. You may think you’re being professional but it’s humiliating to see.
- 2. Don’t stand on the ball at free kicks trying to stop the attacking team from taking a quickie. With foreign refs there won’t be any need to ‘cos they will clearly signal whether a quickie can be taken. Won’t they?
- 3. Don’t try shooting from 40 yards plus. You just ain’t good enough.
- 4. If you wanna watch foreign football try and learn a few things beyond how to celebrate when you have scored. Perhaps fair play would be a good start
- 5. Don’t lean back when you’re in the penalty box and whack the ball as hard as you can. A goal is still a goal whether it’s a Cristiano Ronaldo special or a tap in from one inch
- 6. Don’t get carried off the field on a stretcher
- 7. Don’t kiss the badge after you have scored. Chances are you have been changing club every year of your career and it’s tantamount to fraud. Better find a hundred dollar bill if you must kiss something, kiss something you really care about
- 8. Ever wondered why you huddle together before kick off? Does it build team spirit? How do you feel when you lose, was the huddle effective? Why just copy other countries?
- 9. Look up Fair Play in a dictionary
- 10. Copying Lionel Messi’s goal celebration does not make you as good as him. Walking round looking at the ground with your head enveloped by your I-Pod does make you as arrogant and spoilt as him.
- 11. If you’re a goalkeeper learn to use your mouth. You know, open it and give instructions to your defenders.
- 12. If you’re a defender don’t fall asleep at corners or free kicks. Everyone is on to you.