Google
 

Friday, July 02, 2010

 

Big time beckons Hariss but he frets about school!

SINGAPORE - Standing on the touchline of the National Stadium pitch on the night of June 24, 2007, Hariss Harun's heart was pounding in his shirt as Lions midfielder Shahril Ishak approached him. The teenager was about to rewrite the history books.

At just 16 years and 217 days, Hariss became the youngest player to don the Lions jersey after substituting Shahril in the friendly match with North Korea.

His appearance eclipsed the record set in 1978 by a then older 16-year-old Fandi Ahmad when he turned out for Singapore during a tour of Russia.

It has been three years since that 2-1 win over North Korea and now Hariss stands on the cusp of another milestone.

Following in the footsteps of Fandi, who went on to play with Gronigen in Holland, he leaves for Shanghai at 8am today for a shot at signing for an overseas club for the first time - a 10-day trial with Chinese Super League (CSL) leaders Shanghai Shenhua.

"They are a big team with very good players, but I'm not going there to make up the numbers," the 19-year-old told MediaCorp yesterday. "It has been my dream to play outside of Singapore since I started football, and I am really grateful for this chance.

"I'm giving it my best, and who knows what will come out of it?"

The trial in China was arranged by national coach Radojko Avramovic, who is a personal friend of Shanghai head coach Miroslav Blazevic. It was the Lions boss' strong recommendation that paved the way for the midfielder.

Hariss will be on his own in Shanghai and football will not be his only obstacle.

"Language and the culture will be challenges for me, but I think one of the biggest issues is food.

"I've always followed Islam closely and I'm not sure how I'm going to find 'halal' food there. I'll bring bread and some noodles along with me, just in case," he said.

The Nanyang Polytechnic Sports and Wellness management student will have to miss school as the trials - originally set for June 14-27 - were rescheduled.

While the Internet will allow Hariss to keep up with his assignments and projects, the teenager may have to leave school with one-and-a-half semesters to go before graduation, if he clinches a contract.

"It will be a big waste if I have to quit school, but there are so many things to consider and so many questions to ask.

I'll have to sit down with my family and talk this through."

COMMENT - I wouldn't worry too much about missing school. That can easily be caught up. One of Singapore's brightest talents in a generation and all he can worry about is bloody missing school! Does that give Shanghai Shenhua the right impression about the player?

Anyway, what the bloody hell is Wellness?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?