Google
 

Saturday, March 20, 2010

 

Etoile Set the Standard

Forget what they have done on the field, winning League Cup, throwing away a two goal lead against Home United, if Etoile do nothing for the rest of the season they have already shown the rest of the SLeague the way.

First it was match day programmes. Now it's club merchandise! None of this nudge nudge nonsense with these guys. Wanna be a fan? Come and join in. Early days but the openess of Etoile and their up and coming Supporters' Club contrasts with most SLeague clubs who seem to bus in a bunch of friends, feed them chicken rice, tell them when to cheer before bussing them home again without them ever knowing the score.

Over the years when I have suggested clubs should get pro active in the merchandising sector everyone has told me that it wouldn't work in Singapore where most people are only interested in the SLeague for the gambling.

Advertising merchandise is one thing of course. Selling it is another. Will people buy?

On a point of principle I will not buy any Etoile stuff. I'm a little Englander and I blame the French for everything from over fishing tuna to the middle east conflict via Robert Mugabe. Years of blaming all the world's ills on the Frenchies, I cannot just U turn like a Jakartan bus.

Anyway I have never forgotten that bitch in a bakery in Lille pretending not to understand my order in front of a long queue. Oh she understood all right but she wanted me to look stoopid. 'Cos of course us English, we don't know any languages except our own. Bitch. She didn't know I had lived just down the road from her for a few years.

She understood what I said as I left mind!

Anyways good luck to the Froggies in the SLeague and I look forward to other clubs following their lead.

Bon chance...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?